Basketball BC High Performance Program
The Basketball BC High Performance Program is made up of 4 pillars or programs for athletes from Grade 7 to 12.
- is based on an integrated functional approach to basketball training
- has a scope and sequence of training following the Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD) pathway
- includes on court individual skill and team training and off court training, including strength, agility and quickness training, functional movement screening, mental training and nutritional workshops
- provides ongoing individual skill analysis and assessment
- is designed to develop higher level basketball skills coupled with increased athletic abilities
- is aligned with Canada Basketball methods of team and concepts of play with a designed focus to help athletes in pursuit of their long term basketball goals
Girls High Performance - Shaun McGuinness, Basketball BC Provincial Coach and Director of High Performance
Boys High Performance - Joe Enevoldson, Basketball BC Assistant Manager of High Performance
High Performance Staff
The High Performance coaching and training staff consists of NCCP trained and certified coaches, certified athletic trainers, and Canada Basketball trained analysts. Support staff includes sport psychologists, who provide mental training techniques to athletes and support physiotherapists, who provide functional movement screening.
The goal of Basketball BC is to have a High Performance coaching pool with NCCP trained coaches for all the High Performance programs.
Identification and Selection
Athlete identification and selection is a collaborative process. The process includes input from Basketball BC’s Provincial Coach/Director of High Performance, the Assistant Manager of High Performance, selected provincial High Performance coaches and Canada Basketball staff.
For more information regarding player identification/ selection criteria for Basketball BC’s High Performance Programs, click here.
Athlete Support Services
For the High Performance programs, Basketball BC provides support services in the areas of nutrition, speed & agility, strength training, mental training, movement & functional movement assessment, and injury treatment & prevention for identified performance level athletes.
POD training coaches work with each athlete to establish a personal training plan that focuses on tactics and sill training. Player and coaches within our POD training program are eligible for Canadian Sport Institute (CSI) and Pacific Sport carding and benefits.